Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Quinoa For Breakfast...Yes Quinoa

I keep reading healthy recipes and meal plans that use quinoa as the breakfast main. If you are like me, you picture quinoa as a substitute for rice or potatoes... with dinner. I have previously tried it as a breakfast 'cereal' but just didn't enjoy it until I decided to top it just like I would oatmeal.

After years and years of eating oatmeal this is a nice change. Oatmeal is amazing for you, but quinoa is a bit better. It is a balanced grain that contains a good amount of protein. If you don't know all the benefits take a look here for some no nonsense quinoa facts.

So I tried a recipe from Gwyneth Paltrow's new cook book and it turned out amazing. I will post that recipe tomorrow, but in the meantime you can cook it as you usually did. (Basically same way you cook rice.) I cook extra to last a few mornings. You can totally put any toppings on this and make it your own!

Walnut Banana Quinoa

Walnut Banana Quinoa

  • 3/4 cup perfect quinoa 
  • 1/4 cup almond milk (or milk of your choice)
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 banana, cut into slices
  • 1/4 cup walnuts
  • drizzle of honey
* warm up quinoa with almond milk for about 1 minute (skip this step if making fresh)
* layer on the rest of the toppings and drizzle with honey

Ta-da!!! Yes it is that easy...and good!

No comments: