Thursday, April 21, 2011

Baked Brie

If you are looking for a light yet enjoyable meal I suggest this one that I made the other day. It was a nice change and would be ideal for a lunch. I made salad, tomato soup and baked Brie with fresh baguette.

The tomato soup was from the recipe I shared last week, you can find the recipe here. As for the Brie it is super simple to make, especially if you use the President's Choice Phyllio pastry. It comes in a white box with two individual rolls in it. Instead of having about 20 or so thin sheets in each roll, each roll is the thickness of 20 sheets pressed together. For this recipe instead of having to use multiple sheets  and layer them, I was able to sit the Brie in the middle of the Phyllio dough and wrap it once, it took about a minute. Bonus! You could easily put a filling like a jam or roasted red peppers on the Brie then wrap it. Since I used a Brie containing olives I preferred it plain.
Baked Brie with Olive Ciabatta Bread


Baked Brie
  • Brie wheel, I used the smallest one (serves about 4)
  • 1/2 sheet of Phyllio pastry 
  • evoo or butter
* First I cut the roll of pastry in half and put the one half out to dethaw and the other half back in the freezer with the other roll
* I sat the Brie in the middle of the pastry and folded the dough up around the cheese. Since the dough will be in a rectangular shape, I pushed up the long rectangular sides first (the sides with the least amount of dough) and used the shorter sides (but with more dough) to hold them up and cover the whole top
* I brushed the top with olive oil, but you could use butter
* Cook for 30 minutes on 400, until golden brown, on a lightlty creased cookie sheet or pie plate

If you are cooking a bigger Brie wheel use a full sheet or even two and cook until golden brown.

No comments: