Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Beans With Everything

Beans are incredibly healthy for you, full of protein, iron and nutrients! Unfortunately quite often when I think of dishes involving beans, I picture something mushy, bland or greasy. Even if you don't love beans try this! It is economical, tasty and simple.

I like to have salads with lunch but find that on their own they lack protein and enough substance to keep me full for long. Enter the humble bean! It is the perfect topping for salad. I use navy (white) beans/kidney beans/black beans or chic peas. I use canned beans but you could use dried ones as well. I make a batch every week, put it in the fridge and use it to boost nutrient quality of other dishes. This super simple recipe results in beans that are perfect to go with things like salad, rice, soup, etc..

Beans
  • 1 tsp olive oil
  • 1 can bean of your choice, drained and rinsed
  • 1 small onion, diced
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • s & p
* sautee onions in olive oil until soft, add garlic until slightly brown and fragrant
* add beans and s & p, stir and cook just until beans are heated through approx. 5 mins
Annnnnnd you're done! Yes that is it! Put the beans on cooked rice (my sons favorite), on salad (I let beans cool first), or even by themselves!

No comments: