Monday, May 16, 2011

French Onion Soup

As a child my mom occasionally would make us French Onion soup. She would get out these special bowls that she only used for this soup, therefore making it an extra special treat. I remember the soft bread and the gooey, stringy cheese more than the actual soup!

I wanted to recreate the soup but didn't have her recipe. Quite a few recipes involved French onions (I know shocking). I found a recipe by Michael Smith he is the Chef at Home on Food Network. This super simple recipe uses simple yellow onions, and who doesn't have a whole bag of those sitting around and chicken stock, for the main ingredients.

The result was a good soup, with the gooey topping I remember but just not with the dark strong broth that most French Onion soups have. This soup is light in colour with a fairly mild taste which actually is nice with the cheese and bread. I used mozzarella for the cheese instead of Gruyere as the recipe suggests. Not my favorite soup of all time, but I would make it again.

No comments: