Saturday, May 7, 2011

Honey Oat Muffins

Today being Saturday I thought it was a nice chance to have something a little different for breakfast but still wanted it to be fairly healthy. Muffins are one of those sneaky foods that can be full of fat and calories. In fact some have as much fat as a hamburger (gross).

I found a recipe at the Canadian Living website and although it looked pretty healthy I tweaked it even more to make sure it was perfect for breakfast. My son loved them, my husband thought they were good (he still prefers the 'hambuger' type). I will make these again.

Honey Oat Muffins 
  • 1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1-1/4 cups quick-cooking rolled oats
  • 1 cup raisins
  • 1/2 cup bran
  • 1-1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1-1/2 cups buttermilk (I put in 1/2 Tbsp of white vinegar in the bottom of a measuring cup and filled the rest with milk until it reached the 1 1/2 mark)
  • 1/2 cup liquid honey
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1-1/2 tsp  vanilla
 * Preheat oven to 375
* Mix in all dry ingredients until well combined
* Add in milk, honey, egg, vanilla and oil, stir until well combined and moist
* Put into either a muffin pan that is either greased or paper lined
* I choose to top mine with a drizzle of honey and sprinkle of oatmeal and coconut prior to baking them

No comments: