Monday, May 23, 2011

"Greek" Potatoes

I feel like I post recipes for potatoes fairly often. Now I myself am not a huge fan of white potatoes, but the rest of the family is. Health wise although they aren't as nutrient packed as their cousin the sweet potato, they still are an unprocessed, untouched by man source of carbs. The below recipe is one modified slightly from the book entitled "New Recipes From Moosewood Restaurant". The original restaurant is in Ithaca N.Y.. I have never been, but have read a few of their cookbooks. They have 12 cookbooks in total! It must be a pretty good restaurant! Some supermarkets in the USA even carry their soups now.

As to why these potatoes are called Greek Potatoes, I am not too sure. Nevertheless these potatoes were a definite success around here. My husband requested them again for this week, and my son gobbled them up in a minute.
"Greek" Potatoes
  • 6 medium potatoes, cubed (I chose to peel mine, but as long as they are scrubbed well you could leave on the peels)
  •  1/2 cup fresh lemon juice, (about 2.5 lemons)
  • 1/3 vegetable or olive oil
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 1/2-1 tsp pepper
  • 1 1/2 tsps dried oregano
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 cup - 3 cups hot water (This seems like a big range, but depending on your oven and the type of potatoes that you use you may not need a lot of water. When I made this in my previous oven I need 2 cups of water, last week when I made them in my new one I only need 1 cup. Start with one and if when you stir them most of the water is absorbed add more, 1/2 cup at a time)
* Preheat oven to 475
* Toss potatoes, lemon juice, oil, spices and garlic into a deep flat pan, add 1 cup of water
* Bake uncovered stirring every 20 minutes, this is important, they will stick to the bottom if you do not
* At each 20 minute mark you may need to add more water, when they are in the final 15 minutes let most of the water absorb, you may need to stir more frequently so they do not burn. They will take approx 1 hour to cook

Serve with a sprinkle of parsley and watch them be devoured!

No comments: