Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Strawberry Topped Coconut Scones

I was having company over for dinner the other evening to celebrate my father-in-laws birthday. I ran through the list of possibilities in my head as to what to serve for dessert. Cake, cookies, pie I have all done before for my in-laws. And while the 'birthday boy' likes sweets he doesn't like them overly sugary. I came across a recipe on the Baking Bites site and thought it would be the perfect mix of sweet and savoury.

This dessert would please both hard core sweet lovers (that is me, I could eat cake icing by the bucket) and the people whole like sweets a little. Biscottis, digestive cookies, tea biscuits are all perfect examples of sweets that aren't too sweet. While it is not as sweet as say ice cream, cupcakes or the sort it still is a nice way to finish of a meal. I was struck with the thought that by adding whole wheat flour instead of white it would also cut the sweetness a bit. I swapped the flours and the result was still delicious. I myself would prefer a sweeter cake so would recommend going with regular all purpose flour, if you are going for healthy and a little hardier go with whole wheat flour.

Coconut Scone
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 6 Tbsp. butter, chilled and cut into 6 pieces
  • 2/3 cup sweetened shredded coconut
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1 tsp vanilla
*Pre heat oven to 400 degrees. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper
* In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and sugar
* Add butter, using your hands rub the butter and the flour together until it looks like a course sand
* Add vanilla to mixture, then add milk 1/3 at a time and stir until becomes like a dough texture, kneed until smooth and slightly sticky
* Break into 2 pieces, place on cookie sheet and press down until 1/2" thick. Then divide into 4 using a knife. Cut and wiggle so the quarters are a few millimeters apart
* Bake for 15 minutes, or until tops are golden brown

Strawberry Topping
  • 1 package of strawberries, diced
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1/2 tsp corn starch (if needed)
* Place strawberries in pot with sugar and stir, once strawberries start to juice allow it to slightly bubble
* Once juice bubbles turn down to simmer and allow to thicken and get 'juicer', about 10-15 minutes
* Pureed 1/2 the mixture so it is like a jam. I use my immersion blender so I can simply just stick it in the pot puree it for a second that way there are still chunks in it.
* If still too liquidity add corn starch to thicken
* Place on scones

Garnish with whip cream and enjoy!

No comments: