Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Garlic Green Beans

This evening we had roast beef, green beans, black rice and salad. I don't eat red meat but I do make a roast a few times a month for my meat eating boys. As a side dish I like to have something that isn't traditionally thought as a red meat side, as potatoes and carrots usually are, hence the green beans.

This recipe is super simple to make, healthy and everyone gobbles it up. In fact we have it weekly. In an unexpected twist I add ginger to the beans, which gives it a mild pick me up and compliments the bean and the garlic flavors.

Garlic Green Beans
  • 2 pounds green beans, ends trimmed off
  • 1 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil (you could use butter instead)
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 tsp ginger, minced (I buy the pre-minced ginger)
  • salt and pepper, to taste

*Place trimmed beans in pot with enough water to cover beans, bring to boil
*I take the beans off after about 2 minutes of boiling, as we prefer the beans still to be firm. If you prefer a softer bean leave them to boil for slightly longer
*Strain beans
*In same pot that is still warm put in evoo, ginger and garlic, allow to cook for about 1 minute, add in beans and stir
*Top with s& p, stir again

Enjoy!

No comments: