Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Just Like Sugar

Like many people out there trying to stay on the healthy track, sugar is one of the things that I am trying to cut down on. If only I didn't have such a sweet tooth it would be much easier! There are many different sugar substitutes out there.  The problem is they all seem to have rumors swirling about them. One study discovers a health risk, the next find that to be incorrect and so on. Headaches, migraines, laxative effect, even some cancers have been linked back to sweeteners. Whether or not these side effects are true or not remains to be seen.

I have been reading about a sweetener called Just Like Sugar. It has been featured in various magazines and I have read some very positive reviews about it. It is made from only 4 ingredients; Orange peel, Chicory root, Calcium and Vitamin C. It can be used anywhere that sugar can and in the exact same measurements (1 to 1).

I finally located some today and purchased it to try. First I tasted it directly on my tongue. It did taste 'just like sugar', always a good sign. I was impressed that it didn't have an aftertaste. I notice after trying Stevia that I had a slight bitter taste in my mouth. Next I put it on oatmeal. It blended in perfectly and made my oatmeal extra yummy. It can be used for baking but with one downside, the price. The bottle has 165g (just under a cup) in it and I paid $6.99. I don't mind spending extra for something healthy but for some cookie recipes, which generally aren't healthy anyways, you would need 2 of these bottles. That would be $14.00 before adding any of the other ingredients. I guess you would be farther ahead buying pre-made baked goods from a grocer like Whole Foods, who now carries some products made with J.L.S.. They would purchase it in volumes and I am assuming would get it for a wholesale price, making baking with it more affordable for them.

All in all I will continue to buy this product for things that require sugar in smaller amounts! For more of the benefits and  information on this product check out the Just Like Sugar website.

No comments: