Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Shepard's Pie

If you are looking for a simple dish that can be made a day ahead, can be made vegetarian, easily altered or even frozen this dish has it all. I make my Shepard's Pie pretty basic and always make 2 medium pans instead of 1 large one. I freeze one and serve one on the day I make it. This dish freezes extremely well. Freezing it gives me a break later-on, on a day when I am just not up to cooking or know I will be out and about with the kids late .

I don't add veggies to my 'Pie'. I find when being reheated it makes it too liquidy or mushy for our liking. Feel free to toss in some diced carrots, corn, peas or any other veggies you have handy (add them to the meat cooking stage). If you are a vegetarian you can sub in soy meat for the meat or if you don't eat red meat you could use ground turkey. I use a couple Bay leaves in my potatoes, whether or not it makes a huge difference I don't know, but I feel it adds a little extra mild flavor to it. Next time I think I will try this dish using Roasted Garlic mashed potatoes. 

Shepard's Pie 
  • 10-12 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1" pieces
  • s&p
  • 2 bay leaves (optional)
  • 1/2-3/4 cup milk
  • 1/4 cup butter, margarine or cream cheese

* Place potatoes in pot and cover with water, add salt and bay leaves bring to boil
* Allow potatoes to simmer until well cooked, make the below meat portion while boiling
* Drain potatoes and remove bay leaves, add milk, butter, s&p and blend/mash until smooth

  • 1-1 1/2 pounds ground beef
  • 1 large onion
  • 3 cloves garlic
  • 1/2 tsp oregano
  • s&p
* Sautee onions and garlic until tender
* Add ground beef and seasonings, cooking until just brown (keep in mind it will be going in the oven so you don't want to over cook it)

I will describe how to make 1 large dish of this but two make two you would do the same just divide it in half to start.
* Grease glass dish
* Spread 1/4 of potatoes on bottom of dish
* Spread meat on top 
* Spread remaining potatoes on top. I find using a slightly moist spatula to smooth the potatoes allows for easy spreading without the potatoes lifting the meat 
* Spread a tiny bit of butter over top 

Cook in oven until top is slightly brown approx an hour at 350, or 20-30 mins  at 400. 



No comments: